Essential oils are everywhere: in the office, in the home, and even in edible recipes. The use of essential oils has found it's way into the mainstream health and wellness industry as the many benefits of oils have come into popular interest. If you are even slightly interested in the natural wellness industry, then it's highly likely that you own at least one essential oil diffuser (maybe even two or three for different rooms in the house).
If you use your diffuser as much as I do, then you're probably wondering "how can I make sure that it's clean?" Even though essential oils are naturally healthy and bacteria-free, even the cleanest of diffuser's could get a little love every once in a while. This isn't because of any harmful toxins or bacteria, but because over time your diffuser might build up some residue from the essential oils that could prevent it from working properly.
If you want to know the best ways to make sure your favorite diffuser is working properly, keep reading below!
Here is an in action video of how to clean your essential oil diffuser.
How to "Fill 'Er Up":
When it comes to taking care of your diffuser, the first thing to remember is that when you fill it up to use it, make sure that you use tap water and only fill up to the line that is inside the diffuser.
After that, you can add about 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil (or oils) so that you can get the most out of the diffuser. This quick informative blurb is mostly to remind you how to fill up your diffuser so that it works well!
Cleaning Tips for Your Diffuser:
doTERRA Cloud & Aroma Ace Diffusers
1. Always clean the nozzle before switching essential oils
2. Rinse the nozzle with tap water or (for a deeper clean) submerge the quick-change top in rubbing alcohol for up to 60 minutes
3. Wipe clean with a dry cloth
Petal, Aroma Lite, & Lotus Diffusers
1. Do a quick clean after each use
2. To remove excess water from the diffuser make sure to pour from the rear of the diffuser so you don't get the operating buttons wet
3. Clean the inside and the outside of the diffuser with a small amount of neutral detergent cloth or with a small foam brush; avoid using any harsh cleaners on your diffuser
4. Rinse and dry
5. Use a Q-tip covered in rubbing alcohol to wipe the ultrasonic mist chip found inside of the water tank
Deep Cleaning Your Diffuser:
It's important to deep clean your diffuser every month!
1. Fill the diffuser halfway with clean water
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar
3. Let your diffuser run for about 10 minutes to allow the mixture to disperse through the diffuser and clean it
4. Drain the diffuser completely
5. With a Q-tip dipped in white vinegar, clean the hard to get to places in the diffuser
6. Rinse with clean water
7. Use a dry cloth to wipe and dry the diffuser completely
That's it! Pretty straightforward, right?
Let me know in the comments below if you have anymore questions regarding the best ways to use your essential oils or your diffuser!
Peace, love, & oils,
Other blogs you might like:
Wondering about other ways to use essential oils?
You can download this free eBook that includes 100 Uses for Essential Oils.