Your candles are even more toxic than you think they are!
This article was a hard one to write. I know how many of us love our scented candles, especially during the fall and at Christmas time. There are new studies everyday about the toxicity in candles and what it is doing to our lungs.
The EPA has found that the air inside our homes is 5x more polluted than the air outside. This is often due to the products we are using in our homes, things like our cleaning supplies, laundry detergents, or synthetic fresheners, candles, and scented plugins.
Your scented candles are especially toxic!
There is a ton of research about how scented candles are very dangerous for human health. Today I'm going to be talking to you guys about the parts of the candle that are toxic. I'm going to tell you about studies which have shown the potential health risks associated with scented candles. I'm also going to tell you guys about why candles are especially bad for children.
Let's start with how scented candles are made. Scented candles are a huge source of indoor air pollutants and they put off chemicals that are considers just as dangerous as SECOND-HAND SMOKE! Paraffin is a common ingredient in most candles. Paraffin is a petroleum waste product that needs to be deodorized and chemically bleached before it can be made into wax.
Paraffin wax creates extremely toxic benzene and toluene when burned; benzene and toluene are known carcinogens.
The toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as the toxins found in diesel fuel flames.
DIESEL FUEL FLAMES! In your home!
Every time you light a paraffin wax candle you are doing the equivalent of burning diesel fuel flames in your house.
If that wasn’t scary enough did you know that roughly 30 percent of candles sold in the US use wicks containing heavy metals that are released into the air as the wick burns down. Wicks in the US are supposed to be made from paper or cotton, but studies have shown that isn’t happening all of the time. Wicks have even been shown to release five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children.
These toxins can cause problems ranging from headaches to lung cancer.
These dangerous pollutants drifting in the air could contribute to the development of health risks like cancer, allergies and even asthma.
I get it, we all love going to Bath and Body Works to stock up on their candles to make our home smell fresh and cozy, but those artificial fragrances are wreaking havoc on your lungs and could even potentially lead to cardiovascular and endocrine disorders in the future.
When you heat up artificial fragrances they then release VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). For reference VOCs are also found in paint and we all know that its best to wear a mask while painting and having access to fresh air. VOCs are ultrafine particles that linger in the air long after you’ve stopped burning the candle, and then you are your family are breathing those particles in.
Another scary thought is that candle companies don’t have to disclose all the chemicals used in their artificial fragrances.
BUT…. Do not fret! I have the perfect solution for replacing your candles with something that will not only make your house smell amazing but has health benefits and will clean the air in your home.
It’s no surprise that I am going to recommend diffusing essential oils, but doTERRA has come out with a brand-new kit that caters directly to the candle lovers.
This newest kit is called the Aroma Essentials Kit
It comes with a beautiful glass diffuser that is way prettier than any candle. The kit also includes 10 oils that will have your housing smell like whatever season you want it to and will provide you with so many health benefits.
Check out the YouTube video below for an explanation of my favorite ways to use these oils.
So, let’s talk about these amazing oils and what they can do for you.
First up we have Wild Orange.
Wild Orange smells amazing, but of course it is way more than a fragrance oil. It takes about 10 pounds of oranges to make one bottle of Wild Orange.
That is the amazing thing about doTERRA, you can be sure that their oils contain zero synthetic materials. When you buy oils from online retailers or your local health food store, you cannot be sure that the oil is pure. The other cool thing is that doTERRA puts supplemental information on the back of the oils that are safe to ingest. In order for these supplemental facts to be used these oils go through many tests before they are made for the public to use. You can be sure that these oils have been looked over by scientists and doctors, and they are perfectly safe to ingest.
Back to Wild Orange!
Wild Orange is the perfect oil for an afternoon pick me up. You can put a drop of Wild Orange in your palm, along with one drop of peppermint, rub your palms together, and inhale deeply. The Peppermint helps to open your airways and Wild Orange is very uplifting for the mood. Check out Pub Med for over 1500 research articles sharing the benefits of Wild Orange essential oil.
Here are some other ways to use Wild Orange
How to Use
- Household: use in an all-purpose spray to cleanse and purify surfaces.
- Flavor: Add a drop to your water every day for a burst of flavor and to promote overall health.
- Mood: Diffuse to uplift mood and energy levels and to freshen the air.
- Energizing Boost: Add one to two drops in the palm together and inhale deeply from palms, then rub on the back of neck.
- Diffuse: Wild Orange combines well with any oils to give it a hint of citrusy aroma .
- Furniture Polish: Combine olive oil, vinegar, and Wild Orange into a spray bottle .
- Immune System: Add 1-2 drops to a capsule to help support a healthy immune system.
Next up we have… Peppermint
I already mentioned Peppermint briefly above, but lets dive a little deeper.
Peppermint is one of those oils that has the supplemental facts on the back, so this is an oil that can be ingested. One drop of Peppermint oil is the equivalent of about 20 cups of peppermint tea.
Peppermint helps to open the airways, making it the perfect oil to use when you are congested or just have a stuffy nose. You can use peppermint by inhaling it after rubbing a drop in your palms or you can diffuse by adding 3-5 drops to your diffuser.
You can also just add a drop of peppermint right on your tongue. I love to keep Peppermint in my backpack when I'm hiking. If I'm on the top of a fourteen-er, which is a 14,000 foot mountain, and there's not a lot of oxygen, I can rub a bit of Peppermint oil on my chest and really get those airways open.
Below are some other cool uses for Peppermint essential oil.
- Mouth Rinse: Use with lemon oil in water for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse.
- Stomach: Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule for occasional stomach upset.
- Food Flavor: Add a drop to your favorite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist.
- Pick Me Up: Place one drop with wild orange in the palm of your hand an inhale.
- Focus: Add a few drops with the citrus oil in the diffuser.
- Energy: Use diluted topically or in the diffuser.
- After Sun Spray: Mix with lavender, Frankincense, and FCO and apply to skin.
- Brownies: Add a few drops to a brownie recipe.
The next oil you will receive in your Aromatic Essentials Kit is Balance.
Balance is a proprietary blend that contains a mix of all the essential oils below.
Ingredients: Spruce, Ho Wood, Frankincense, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, Osmanthus, Fractionated Coconut Oil
Because Serenity essential oil contains Frankincense, I want to highlight the cause supported when you purchase a bottle of Frankincense from doTERRA. When you purchase a bottle of Frankincense, you support something called Co-Impact Sourcing. Co-Impact Sourcing is where oils are sourced the best by helping the most.
Frankincense comes from Somalia and before doTERRA came they did not have schools that girls could attend, and they didn't have access to medical clinics. doTERRA went in and said, “hey we'd love to partner with you and help to support your economy, help your community, and purchase Frankincense. What else does your community need?” They said, “we need schools, and we need access to medical care.”
doTERRA agreed but said they would only build schools if girls were allowed to attend. So, because of doTERRA girls in Somalia now have access to education, where they did not previously. The cool thing is every single oil that I share with you or that you purchase has a story like that, so it does so much good beyond just smelling amazing in your house and helping your body function optimally.
Balance has a lot of amazing benefits including:
- Grounding: Began your day by putting it on the bottom of your feet to feel more grounded.
- AromaTouch Hand Massage: Use 1-2 drops
- Overwhelm: Apply to your wrists or neck.
- Road Trips: Diffuse in your car to help calm the environment.
- Ground Emotions: Use topically on pulse point, behind the ears, and bottoms of the feet.
- Stressed Out: Diffuse during a stressful event or meeting.
- Bedtime: Put it on the bottoms of your feet before bedtime to help promote a good night's rest.
- Bath: Add a few drops in a relaxing bath with some Epsom Salt.
- Anxious Feelings: Inhale directly from the palms of your hands.
- Yoga/Meditation: Use in the diffuser or over Heart Chakra during your yoga or meditation practice.
This is a very popular essential oil this is great for anybody who has anxious feelings or maybe little ones are a little bit hype; it helps to calm those neuro pathways. A reminder, 60% of what you put on your body, whether it's an essential oil or a toxic lotion, is absorbed into your skin, so it's really important to be mindful of the products you are using on your body.
Up next, we have On Guard essential oil.
On Guard is another proprietary blend made by doTERRA, it contains the essential oils listed below.
Ingredients: Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary
How to use On Guard
- Immune Boost: Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule.
- All Purpose Cleaner: Add to water for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner.
- Sliced Apple Treat: Soak sliced apples in water and add a few drops for a healthy, immune boosting snack.
- Hand Cleanser: Combined with coconut oil.
- Protection & Shielding: Use a few drops in a diffuser or diffuser jewelry.
- Increase Boundaries: Use topically or in a diffuser.
- Energetic Parasites: Add a few drops to a diffuser or apply topically.
- Environmental Threats: Diffuse a few drops.
- Toothbrush Cleanser: Add 1- 2 drops in a glass of water and let soak.
- Mouthwash: Add a drop to water and swish.
This is extremely popular oil in doTERRA it helps to support a healthy immune system. On Guard also has supplemental facts on the back of the bottle so you can be sure its safe to ingest.
On Guard smells kind of like the fall season and is the perfect replacement for those toxic fall candles in your home. The fall and winter also seem to be a time when more people get sick, so this is perfect to diffuse in your home during those seasons.
Making your home smell cozy and festive is super easy when using essential oils and you don’t have to worry about breathing in those toxins that you would if you were burning candles. If you absolutely just love the feeling a lit candle gives off, try purchasing some of those battery powered candles, they are very affordable on Amazon. The La Luz diffuser gives off a beautiful light though that can also make your home feel cozy or serve as a night light.
doTERRA also makes an On Guard concentrated cleaner that you can make 12+ bottles of all-purpose surface cleaner from for less than $2 a bottle. There are so many products doTERRA carries within their On Guard line, like toothpaste, mouthwash, and laundry detergent.
The next oil in this amazing kit is called Cheer.
Cheer is another proprietary blend made by doTERRA and is part of our Emotional Aromatherapy line.
I have a whole blog post and YouTube video on this line that you can check out at the link below, if you want to know more about the Emotional Aromatherapy line.
Ingredients: Wild orange, clove, Star Anise, lemon Myrtle, Nutmeg, Vanilla Bean Extract, Ginger, Cinnamon, Zdravetz
How to use Cheer
- Focus: Diffuse at home, work, or school.
- Brighten Air: Add a few drops to your favorite passive diffuser and place in car.
- Uplifting: Apply one drop two hands, rub together, and inhale deeply as needed throughout the day.
- Overwhelm: Used topically and inhale deeply.
- Feeling Lonely: Use in a diffuser to promote happy, bright feelings that will invigorate your mood.
- Negative Emotions: Add a drop to your hands, rub palms together, and take a deep breath to inhale.
- Pick me up Diffuser Blend: 3 cheer, 2 each Douglas Fir and Tangerine
- Happy Mornings: Diffuse or used topically on pulse points.
- Grumpy Kids: Dilute accordingly and rub on bottoms of the feet.
- Frustration: Use topically or aromatically.
Cheer has uplifting, citrus oils that can elevate and increase the serotonin levels in the brain, that's part of how they make you feel happy. This is the perfect blend for diffusing on gray, rainy days. This is also the perfect oil to give as a gift for celebrations. (Graduations will be happening in May and this would make a great gift)
Another amazing oil you will receive in this kit is Adaptiv.
Adaptiv is doTERRA’s calming blend.
Ingredients: Wild Orange, Lavender, Copaiba, Spearmint, Magnolia, Rosemary, Neroli, Sweetgum
How to use Adaptiv
- Relaxing Massage: mix three drops with FCO for a soother massage.
- Bath: Soak in a relaxing Epsom Salt bath by adding three to four drops.
- Mood: Diffuse with citrus oils to uplift your mood.
- Calm: Diffuse to promote a centered and calm mindset.
- Overwhelm: Apply one drip to hands, rub together, and inhale deeply.
- Perfume: Use as a tranquil relaxing perfume.
- Morning Rituals: Apply to the bottoms of your feet to calm and ground.
- Diffusion: Jewelry: Add one drop and apply again as needed.
- Foot Soak: Add a few drops into an Epsom Salt foot bath and relax.
- Sleep: Diffuse at night to wind down and relax.
It is so successful at helping to calm the neural pathways of the brain that are stimulated when we feel stressed. This oil is helpful for internal stress, external caused outside of our control, emotional stress, and physical stress within our body.
doTERRA also has an Adaptiv Touch blend which touch just means it's roll on and pre-diluted with fractionated coconut oil. You can roll directly on your pulse points. There's also Adaptiv capsules which are both essential oil and herbal blend including GABA which helps to support the calming of those overactive neurological pathways that can contribute to us feel stressed, so this helps us feel calm.
I think you'll absolutely love this blend. It smells amazing in the diffuser; it has a bit of a sweet and floral scent.
Next, we have Serenity.
Serenity is doTERRA’s restful blend.
Ingredients: Lavender, Cedarwood, Ho Wood, Ylang Ylang, Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, Vetiver, Vanilla Bean Absolute, Hawaiian Sandalwood
How to use Serenity
- Calm Kids: Diffuse at night to calm a restless baby or child.
- Unwind: Apply to bottoms of feet at bedtime.
- Enhance Calming Effects: Use in conjunction with doTERRA Serenity Restful Complex soft gels.
- Soothing Aroma: Inhaled directly from hands or diffused throughout the day for a soothing aroma.
- Warm Bath: Add two to three drops into a warm bath with Epsom salt.
- Feelings of Peace: Apply two to three drops to the back of the neck or on the heart.
- Over-stimulation: Diffuse or use topically.
- Compassion & Love: Add to pulse points.
- Anxiousness: Diffuse and use over heart center.
- Fear: Add to pulse points and bottoms of the feet.
One of the best ways you can use this oil is to diffuse it at night. You will notice deeper sleep. Serenity will also help to cleanse the air around you. This is the first oil I recommend for anyone who wants to have a better night’s sleep.
I also have a blog post on getting a better night’s sleep. You can check that article out at the link below.
The next two oils I am going to tell you about are not oils that can be purchased currently outside of this kit. Every time these oils are stocked, they fly off the shelf.
Ingredients: Wild Orange, Grapefruit, Lavender, Roman Chamomile, and Magnolia
How to Use Citrus Bloom
- Uplifting: Diffuse in the morning or throughout the day to experience a positive, uplifting aroma
- Perfume: Put 1-2 drops on your wrists or diffuser jewelry for a constant bright and spring like aroma
- Massage: add to your doTERRA Hand & Body Lotion for an uplifting massage experience
- Diffuse it: creates a cheery, positive space
- Stress: Add a drop to your pulse points, inhale deeply
- Self-Assurance: Add it over Heart Chakra and solar plexus
- Happy & Content: Inhale directly from the palms of your hands or use a few drops in a diffuser
- Afternoon Boost: Combine with Peppermint to palms, rub together and massage neck and shoulders.
- Pink Starburst Diffuser Blend: 3 drops of Grapefruit, 5 drops of Citrus Bloom
The oils used in this blend are really good at supporting emotional wellness and hormones.
The smell of this oil is absolute perfection, it smells like springtime in a bottle. This is the perfect scent to make your house smell like Spring, I promise you won’t miss those toxic filled candles.
I love to add this oil to my DIY non-toxic cleaners. I have a blog post on making your own DIY cleaners below, so be sure to check that out.
Last, we have Northern Escape.
Ingredients: Black Spruce, Siberian Fir, Balsam Fir, Lavandin, Cedarwood, Cypress, Hinoki, Frankincense, Nootka, Cananga, Clove
How to Use Northern Escape
- Grounding: Put a drop on the bottoms of your feet.
- Uplifting: Diffuse with the citrus oil to create a fresh and uplifting environment.
- Massage: Add to a carrier oil to enhance a soothing massage.
- DIY Cleanser: Add to your DIY surface cleaner.
- Diffuse it: Creates a tranquil, positive space.
- Oily Skin: Add a drop to your toner.
- Bedtime: Put it on the bottoms of your feet before bedtime to help promote a good night's rest.
- Bath: Add a few drops in a relaxing bath with some Epsom Salt.
- Calming: Inhale directly from the palms of your hands.
- Yoga Meditation: Use in the diffuser or over Heart Chakra during your yoga or meditation practice.
- Skin Irritations: Apply on areas of concern.
This oil is special because the oils are extracted from mostly fir trees. Fir trees stay evergreen all year long despite frigid temperatures, they continue to grow despite their conditions; I just think that is kind of special.
This oil smells like you are frolicking through the forest. If you love those pine smelling candles at Christmas time, you are going to love this oil, it will make your house smell like fresh cut Christmas trees. This oil is bound to bring you joy.
Now let’s talk more about this kit! When I say you should run, don’t walk, to get this kit, I mean it! This kit is absolutely amazing and its going to make throwing out your toxic candles so much easier. Don’t believe me? Check out some of these diffuser blends you can use to replace popular candle scents.
Spring Diffuser Blends
Summer Diffuser Blends
Fall/Winter Diffuser Blends
This kit at wholesale price is: $149.50
If you don’t already have a wholesale account, you can use this kit to sign up for a wholesale membership and your membership will be free for the first year. A FREE MEMBERSHIP! That means for the next 12 months you will be able to purchase any oils at a 25 percent discount.
Once you become a member that does not mean you have to make a purchase every month, it just means that when you do make a purchase you will receive it at the best possible price. Of course, there are benefits to making a purchase every month, but you are by no means required to do so.
If you are already a wholesale member and you are on the Loyalty Rewards Program, make sure you purchase this kit using on your LRP order and you will receive 10-30 percent of the cost back in free product points. The shipping is also reimbursed at 100 percent in free product points. If you need help doing this, please reach out to me before placing your order and I can help you.
You can purchase this kit now at the link below.
If you have any questions, please contact me here or on any of my social accounts so we can get you this kit and get toxic candles out of your house!
Are you interested in learning how to continue to live a toxin and chemical free life?
Sign up for my free eCourse below.
Other Articles You May Like