I don’t know about you, but I have noticed so many people coming down with the crud – missing school and work. It seems like it is more prominent in this season than in previous seasons. My house has managed to stay healthy so far this season and I wanted to share some our healthy lifestyle protocols. In this article I will be sharing my top 10 favorite essential oils to support a healthy immune system. I love that essential oils are multi-purpose, so along with sharing the immune boosting properties of these oils, I will also be sharing other ways you can use each one. Many of the oils on the list have cleansing properties and are great to use in DIY household cleaners. Read, How to Make Household Cleaners with Essential Oils
, to learn more.
My Top 10 Favorite Oils for Immune Support
- On Guard
- Tea Tree
This is extremely popular oil in doTERRA it helps to support a healthy immune system.
On Guard smells kind of like the fall season and is the perfect replacement for those toxic fall candles in your home. The fall and winter also seem to be a time when more people get sick, so this is perfect to diffuse in your home during those seasons.
- Wild Orange
How to use On Guard
- Immune Boost: Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule.
- All Purpose Cleaner: Add to water for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner.
- Sliced Apple Treat: Soak sliced apples in water and add a few drops for a healthy, immune boosting snack.
- Hand Cleanser: Combined with coconut oil.
- Protection & Shielding: Use a few drops in a diffuser or diffuser jewelry.
- Increase Boundaries: Use topically or in a diffuser.
- Energetic Parasites: Add a few drops to a diffuser or apply topically.
- Environmental Threats: Diffuse a few drops.
- Toothbrush Cleanser: Add 1- 2 drops in a glass of water and let soak.
- Mouthwash: Add a drop to water and swish.
Rub on the bottom of your children’s feet each morning before school to help with immunity support. My daughter does this herself in the mornings when she is getting ready for school.
On Guard Plus Softgels
On Guard Plus Softgels work to boost immunity the same as the On Guard blend, except they contain a few extra oils like Black Pepper, Oregano, and Melissa that work together to strengthen and maintain a healthy immune system.
You can take these throughout the winter season if you prefer or you can take them as needed. If I'm traveling, I make sure that I take a few of these a day. These are also great to start taking the moment you feel like you are coming down with something and just keep taking them until it goes away, these will help knock it out before it shows up in full force. These are great to keep on hand in your medicine cabinet.
On Guard Protective Throat Drops
These On Guard Protective Throat Drops are great to keep in your bathroom cabinet for when you start getting that scratchy throat feeling. These throat drops are the all-natural version of a cough drop, but they also contain immune boosting properties.
doTERRA On Guard Protecting Throat Drops help calm and soothe dry, scratchy throats while supporting overall health. When taken internally, the protective properties of the essential oils in the doTERRA On Guard blend can promote healthy immune system function. doTERRA On Guard Protecting Throat Drops can be a potent addition to a defensive health strategy against seasonal and environmental threats.
- Helps calm and soothe dry, scratchy throats
- Helps strengthen the body’s defenses
- Proprietary doTERRA On Guard Throat Drop blend of CPTG Certified Pure Tested Grade essential oils including Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, and Myrrh in the convenience of an individually wrapped drop
- Blended in a sweet base of organic cane sugar and organic brown rice syrup, with no added artificial flavors or colors
On Guard Chewable Tablets
These chewable tablets contain doTERRA’s On Guard essential oil as well as vitamin C, vitamin D, Zinc, and powerful beta-glucan. If you aren’t familiar with the On Guard essential oil, it includes Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary.
These tablets are sugar free, gluten free, vegan, and non-GMO. Instead of sugar these tablets are sweetened with monk fruit extract. These tablets are made to be taken daily if you wish, you can take up to three tablets per day and there are 60 tablets in a bag.
You have plenty of options for taking On Guard internally to get your immune system ramped up.
On Guard Concentrate Cleaner
Looking for a powerful, non-toxic, cost effective, multi-purpose cleaner? On Guard Concentrate Cleaner is everything you could want in household cleaning product. This is going to help you keep surfaces in your home clean and keep the crude out of your house.
This is the protective blend specifically designed for kids.
Stronger is a gentle powerhouse blend that has an uplifting aroma that rejuvenates and evokes feelings of wellness. I love to rotate Stronger with my other immune-supporting oils/blends. You can still use On Guard on your kids, if you don’t have this blend. Stronger is from the kids collection and is heavily diluted so that kids can use them on their own. My daughter has had her own kids line collection in her room since she was 4-5 years old.
This blend contains
- Pre-diluted with fractionated coconut oil
- Promotes feelings of wellness and vitality
- Comforting too occasional skin irritations
- Soothing to the emotions during times of distress
How to Use
- When environmental threats are high, use stronger to promote feelings of wellness and vitality.
- Roll onto hands, knees, and feet after a long day of activity.
- Soothing to occasional skin irritations.
- Help soothe and comfort distressed skin.
- Diffuse to refresh and revitalize any area.
- Use for a soothing aroma.
My daughter will sometimes put this on, just because she likes the smell of it, and it feels like a win-win for me because I know she is supporting her immune system at the same time.
This powerful blend minimizes the effects of seasonal threats and helps to maintain feelings of clear airways and easy breathing. This is another extremely common essential oil in the doTERRA world and is used to support a healthy respiratory system, so if you are wanting to open your airways, put some Breathe in your diffuser – this is great to put in your diffuser at night when you feel you need a little more respiratory support while you sleep. In our home we like to diffuse Breathe and Lavender together, this combination helps to open the airways and has a nice calming effect from the Lavender too. You can dilute Breathe with fractionated coconut oil and rub on your chest or you can use the Breathe stick which is similar to the old school chest rub. This is also nice to rub on the bottoms of the feet and then put socks on afterwards.
This Blend Contains:
- Laurel Leaf
- Eucalyptus Leaf
- Peppermint Plant
- Melaleuca Leaf
- Lemon Peel
- Cardamom Seed
- Ravintsara Leaf
- Ravensara Leaf
- Diffuse, inhale directly from palms, or rub on chest or feet when seasonal and environmental threats are high.
- Use when outdoors to minimize the effects of seasonal threats.
- Diffuse at bedtime for a restful environment.
Breathe also comes in a stick formula making it even easier to apply to your chest to promote the feeling of open airways.
Oregano oil is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional practices. The primary chemical component of Oregano is carvacrol, a phenol that possesses antioxidant properties when ingested. Additionally, Oregano oil should be diluted with a carrier oil when applied to the skin. One drop taken internally each day can help maintain healthy immune function. In addition to being a popular cooking spice, Oregano oil also supports healthy digestion and respiratory function when taken internally.
- Take one drop of Oregano oil in a veggie cap or 4 fl. oz of liquid daily to maintain healthy immune function.
- Add one to two Oregano oil drops to a veggie capsule to support healthy respiratory function.
- Put one drop of Oregano essential oil in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, or on a roast.
- Put 10 Oregano oil drops in a 16-ounce spray bottle with water for a surface cleaner.
This steam cup recipe below is one of my favorite ways to use Oregano. It is very strong though, so I wouldn't recommend it for little children.
In my opinion Oregano and On Guard are the two most important oils for supporting a healthy immune system. Oregano is not an oil you will need to use very often, but when you need it you don’t want to have to wait and order it – I recommend keeping this in your bathroom cabinet to have on hand if you need it.
Thyme is a potent essential oil that has cleansing and purifying effects for the skin; however, due to its high thymol content, Thyme should be diluted with a carrier oil before application. Experimental research suggests that internal use of Thyme essential oil may benefit the immune system, due at least in part to the thymol and carvacrol content.
Thyme has a lot of similar properties as Oregano, but I like to use it more for healthy gut support and to use in your favorite moisturizer for dry and red skin. Thyme along with Oregano are not oils that I like to diffuse or put on my body because I don’t love the aroma – I like to take Thyme internally and get the benefits that way.
Another product that already contains Thyme for you to take internally is GX Assist. I like to take this with me when I travel for times when I am drinking water or eating food that I am not used to and may experience gut discomfort. I will take this for 7-10 days 1-3 times a day. The other oils in this capsule are a powerhouse for your immune system, but they are also going to help clear out your gut.
- Add two drops to veggie capsules and take during wintertime to support a healthy immune system.
- Use when gardening to naturally repel insects.
- Use one to two drops in meat and entrée dishes to add a fresh herbal flavor.
- Dilute with a carrier oil then apply to targeted areas on the skin to promote healthy-looking skin.
Supports a healthy digestive tract by creating an unfriendly environment for potential threats that can disrupt digestive immunities and cause digestive upset.
GX Assist contains Oregano, Tea Tree, Lemon, Peppermint, Lemongrass, and Thyme – all of which are referenced in this article for supporting the immune system.
Tea Tree is a natural disinfectant. Tea Tree essential oil is best known for its purifying properties. Tea Tree oil can be used to cleanse the skin, clean surfaces in the home, and purify the air. It can be applied to the skin after shaving or to the fingernails and toenails after showering to keep them looking healthy. It can also be added to water and a spray bottle to clean surfaces in your home.
Tea Tree is another great oil for immune support. While Tea Tree is mostly known for its skin supporting properties there are a few other ways I like to use it for immune support. It is good for managing overgrowth of candida bacteria in our body and for supporting ear health. Use a drop of Tea Tree, a drop of Lavender, with a little bit of coconut oil to rub around the ear whenever you are experiencing ear discomfort. Never put essential oils in your ear canal. This has worked great for our family ever since my daughter has been born and a lot of other moms say it has worked for them as well.
Arborvitae is an oil that comes from a tree called the Tree of Life. They are thousand-year-old cedar trees that grow in the pacific northwest. Once they have fallen and are dead, doTERRA harvests the dead branches, which don’t decay interestingly enough. This oil is extremely effective against candida overgrowth – even more so than Tea Tree.
Any time someone in our house doesn’t feel well, we will do an oil bath. We always add Arborvitae to these oil baths. It helps to bring down high body temperatures and has a calming effect.
Rose Oil is another one I like to keep on me. If you give me a hug, most of the time you will find that I smell like rose oil. For me it is just one of the most calming oils and I like to apply it throughout the day. Rose is not an oil you hear about often for immune support, it is typically talked about as being good for hormone support, skin, and emotional wellness.
This is an oil that I like to put on my spine in conjunction with On Guard and Frankincense. It is great to use for skin irritations that kids tend to pick up from play structures and bouncy castles. Rose oil smells amazing, but it has a wide variety of uses outside of its aromatic properties – I like to call it the queen of essential oils.
Frankincense is known as the “king of oils”, it is renowned as one of the most prized essential oils. Spend enough time around essential oil people and you will hear the phrase, “when in doubt, use Frankincense. Frankincense can be used to improve the appearance of skin imperfections and it can also be used in a veggie capsule to support healthy cellular function. It is known for supporting healthy cellular, immune, nervous, and digestive function when used internally. It can also be diffused to create a peaceful and satisfying aroma.
For cellular support, you can add a drop of Frankincense under your tongue every day to help promote homeostasis within your body. You can also put Frankincense on your feet to support grounding.
Primary Uses for Frankincense
- Take internally to support healthy cellular function
- Soothing aroma
- Use topically to reduce the appearance of imperfections
- Supports healthy immune and nervous system function when taken internally
(Frankincense, Lemon, Oregano, On Guard, Tea Tree) Blend
This is our go-to anytime our bodies need some big guns to fight off more of the intense environmental threats. What makes this FLOOT bomb so powerful is the blend of oils it uses. FlOOT is an immunity boosting blend of essential oils. It can be taken internally or used in a roller bottle.
Melissa, also known as lemon balm, has been used as part of traditional health practices in Europe for over 2000 years. Melissa has soothing properties for your nerves and everyday tension, as well as immune-boosting benefits. Taking Melissa internally can promote a healthy immune response and support cellular function. This oil contains the chemical constituents citral, germacrene, and beta-caryophyllene, all of which are supportive to the immune system.
Melissa oils is one of the rarer and more expensive oils that doTERRA has. This is due to the way it is harvested and the plant material that is required to make pure Melissa oil.
This is a great oil to use whenever the other essential oils don’t seem to be working or you just can’t kick whatever you have – use on your spine or under your tongue to maximize benefits. The most effective way to use this oil is on skin eruptions that often occur around the lips. Apply Melissa oil directly to them a few times a day and it will help to clear the eruptions up. This is an oil you will want to have in your oil collection.
- One of Melissa oils most prominent health benefits is that it may help support a healthy immune system.
- Internal use can help calm tensions and nerves.
- Encourages a relaxing atmosphere.
- Apply a drop under the tongue and swallow to support cellular health.
- For optimal relaxation, apply Melissa oil topically or put a few drops of Melissa oil into a diffuser.
- Add Melissa to your daily moisturizer to rejuvenate the skin.
- Applying Melissa essential oil will help lessen feelings of stress and promote emotional well-being.
- Place one to two drops of Melissa essential oil under the tongue or on the roof of the mouth and then swallow.
For all the essential oils mentioned in this article a great place to apply them is to the spinal cord. Applying essential oils to the spine allows for greater distribution and heightened function of the essential oils due to the higher concentration of neurological and arterial activity along the spine.
Now, maybe more than ever, it is important to prioritize a healthy immune system. A strong immune system is the key to good health. I hope these tips along with healthy lifestyle choices help you to stay healthy this season. Don't forget to take your Lifelong Vitality Supplements or children's supplements for the littles and drink lots of water.
Are you interested in learning how to continue to live a toxin and chemical free life?
Sign up for my free eCourse below.
You can register for my free mini essential oils eCourse here.
Other Articles You May Enjoy