- Promotes healthy digestion*
- Supports a healthy respiratory system*
- May help promote healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation*
Application: A T I S
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Aromatic Description: Licorice, sweet, honey
Main Chemical Components: Benzene, anethole, limonene
Plant Part: Seed
Fennel is known for its distinct aroma and sweet taste that’s similar to a blend of licorice and honey. The internal benefits of Fennel are also noteworthy. It’s known for its ability to promote healthy digestion, curb hunger cravings, and tame ravenous sweet tooths. Fennel is also used frequently to promote healthy metabolism, circulation, liver function, and a healthy digestive tract, and, when taken internally, can play an important role in supporting a healthy respiratory system.
The Fennel plant can grow to be up to six feet high and has feathery, delicate leaves. The doTERRA Fennel essential oil is acquired through the steam distillation of crushed fennel seeds, which are scientifically named Foeniculum Vulgare. The history of the use of Fennel dates clear back to ancient times when Roman soldiers were said to have consumed Fennel to prepare to fight at optimum capacity during battle.
Even today, thousands of years later, Fennel is still relied upon to ground the emotions and restore a sense of personal strength and confidence. For those feeling disconnected from their personal power, whether that be because of low self-esteem or a lack of motivation, Fennel can be used to counteract those feelings and restore positive emotions of optimism, strength, and self-awareness.
Fennel is also known to calm an upset stomach and is a key ingredient in the DigestZen® Digestive Blend—and it tastes good, too. The seeds have been used in cooking applications for centuries to add a burst of good-for-you flavor to various dishes and desserts. For a new twist on an old classic, try adding Fennel to brownies or another favorite dessert. Fennel is also great for fighting off sweet tooth cravings that can be difficult to resist. To do this, simply place a drop of Fennel under your tongue or add a few drops of Fennel to your water or tea. If you want to experience increased power in your mental and dietary lifestyle, bring Fennel into your life today!
- Rub doTERRA Fennel essential oil on your stomach or on the bottom of your feet to help ease menstrual or digestive discomfort.
- Put a drop of Fennel under your tongue to help fight sweet tooth cravings.
- Add to desserts for an additional depth of flavor.
- Add 1–2 drops in a glass of warm water or tea to help settle digestive upset.
- Take internally to support healthy respiratory function.*
- May help to support the health of the lungs and respiratory tract.*
- Use with fractionated coconut oil for a soothing abdominal massage.
- Diffuse in your home or office to encourage a productive day.
- Apply to skin for a calming, soothing effect.