Thanksgiving and the entire holiday season is time to celebrate with the people you love most, eat yummy food, practice gratitude, and reflect on the past year while making plans for the new year to come. However, sometimes getting all the people you love under one roof can be stressful and that growing to-do list can bring out the tension in everyone. This year let’s take a different approach by planning the perfect holiday with essential oils.
There are three main ways to use essential oils: aromatically, topically, and internally. (Note not all essential oils can be used internally, when using doTERRA essential oils check the bottle for a supplemental facts label – this will determine if an essential oil can be used internally.) Essential oils serve many purposes – for example, peppermint essential oil can be used to flavor holiday treats while also aiding in digestion.
With a little planning you can use essential oils in your favorite holiday foods and drinks, influence the mood of your guests, and give your space a warm, inviting feeling.
Even if you do not celebrate Thanksgiving or a similar holiday these tips can be used all year long or for entirely different holidays.
Follow these 3 simple steps:
- Prepare the perfect holiday menu.
- Choose diffuser blends to set the mood for your celebration.
- Plan décor to wow your guests.
Prepare the Perfect Holiday Menu
Cranberry Lime Spritzer
Cranberry Lime Moscow Mule
This creamer would be perfect to serve with coffee at a brunch celebration.
Serve this with warm bread and a charcuterie board of meats, cheeses, and seasonal produce.
Apple Cream Cheese Rose Tart
Citrus & Herb Butter Roasted Turkey
Ingredients for Turkey:
- 14–16 pound turkey, thawed
- ½ large orange, cut in two wedges
- 1 lemon, cut in quarters
- ½ large granny smith apple, cut in two wedges
- 1 garlic head, cut in half
- 5 sprigs of sage
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
Ingredients for Citrus & Herb Butter:
- 4 drops Wild Orange essential oil
- 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
Honey Thyme Roasted Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots peeled; tops removed
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 drop thyme essential oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Rosemary Dinner Rolls
- 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg for brushing rolls, whisked
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, then more as needed
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 cooked sweet potatoes peeled
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ orange, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 drops cinnamon bark oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 drops cinnamon bark oil
Sweet & Spicy Cranberry Sauce
Healthy Pumpkin Pie
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 13.5oz can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 drop cinnamon essential oil
- 2 drops clove essential oil
- 2 drops ginger essential oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 par-baked pie crust
Black Bean Brownies
Snacking Chocolates with Essential Oils
One of the holiday items doTERRA released this year is the Cuisine Collection. This collection features Thai, Italian, Mexican, and Tropical cuisine blends. These blends are bursting with flavor and are sure to make your dishes a hit.
Set the Mood with Diffuser Blends
The aromatic properties of essentials can influence the mood of your guests and really set the tone for your event.
Diffusing essential oils allows us to support our systems by:
- Purfying the air
- Uplifiting & soothing emotions
- Opening the airways
- Boosting the immune system
Choose a blend that is calming and welcoming for when guests first arrive, keep that blend going throughout your event or plan to have some back up blends if you need to raise the spirts of your guests.
After guests leave your space can have some lingering energies that can drain you, so pre-plan what you will diffuser after guests leave to restore the energy in your space.
You will also want to have some immune boosting essential oils on hand to boost your immune system before and after your event.
Prepare this Gratitude Roller Bottle Blend to use before your event to set your intentions for the day.
Décor to Wow Your Guests
Here is the great thing about decorating for the winter holidays, it’s okay to embrace nature! Ever heard the fall season referred to as decorative gourd season? Yeah well, pumpkins and their relatives make great additions to your holiday décor. Pinecones, sticks, and greenery also make for great décor and give your home a cozy feel.
Pumpkin Floral Centerpiece
You can do this with other décor items as well. Make a fall-inspired garland or confetti for your table and do this same process of sealing the items in a bag with scented cotton balls.
These would be great to make with kids and it allows them to be a part of the decorating and preparation process.
- Fairy lights and glass jars create a calming ambience and can elevate your space.
- Check out your dollar store for budget friendly options.
- Choose neutral and earth tones.
- Extra blankets and pillows in your seating area will make your guests feel cozy.
- Use what you already have – keep it simple.
Diffuser Blends for November
Tips for Surviving the Holidays
The simple act of taking a deep breath can calm us down and lower our heart rate and blood pressure. Oil Tip: Diffuse Holiday Peace, Wild Orange, or Adaptiv.
Eat Right & Exercise
Try taking a walk and managing portion sizes. Oil Tip: Take Mito2Max to help your energy level and your vitamins.
Expect the unexpected during the holidays. Oil Tip: Carry Peace, Cheer, or Adaptiv at all times.
You will benefit by generating positive emotions for yourself while helping someone else. Plus, it can also help us find meaning & gain perspective. Oil Tip: Look to Healing Hands as a great place to contribute.
Expressing gratitude for things doesn’t make everything better, but it does help decrease stress by reminding us of what is going right. Tip: Before you go to bed, try writing down 5 things you were thankful for during the day.
Finding a way to laugh changes body chemistry and can help changes your perspective in helpful ways. Oil Tip: Lemon or Wild Orange helps boost mood, which can lead to laughter.
Cut back and prioritize your to-do list this holiday season.
Take a few minutes each day and write down whatever comes to mind. Just the act of putting thoughts on paper helps clear our minds and decrease stress levels.
Treat Your Self
Self-care! Keep your favorite essential oil in your bag, take an Adaptiv bubble bath and read your favorite book. Don’t let yourself feel guilty for taking care of you.
Create an Escape
If you already know that a particular event is going to push your buttons, figure out ways to remove yourself to give yourself a break. Use your room as your safe space to take some time for yourself if you need it.
Whether you are planning a Thanksgiving dinner with family, a Friendsgiving, a Winter Solstice celebration, or just cooking a meal and sharing it with the people you love, these tips are sure to impress and wow the taste buds of your guests. Don’t forget to relax and set the intention of making good memories.
Do you want more diffuser recipes to make your house smell amazing this autumn?
Sign up below and get your FREE copy of the Fall Diffuser Blend Recipes eBook.
Other Articles You May Enjoy